- Ideas that are exiting and innovative
- Ideas that have raising the quality and service of the product as their ultimate goal
- Ideas that are set to bolster productivity in tourism
- Ideas that will present the area/ region/ country as an interesting destination beyond the current offers
ASIC THEME: New Hotel Brand
The name Marriott has come to mean many types of lodgings — a full-service hotel in a big city, basic low-cost hotels with free Wi-Fi that are aimed at the business traveler, a newly renovated beach resort. Through acquisitions of other hotel companies, including Starwood Hotels & Resorts last year, and introductions of its own new hotel groups, Marriott International now manages 30 brands under its corporate umbrella.
Marriott is typical of hotel companies with increasingly expanding portfolios of offerings. The Wyndham Hotel Group has 18 brands among its 8,000 hotels. Choice Hotels International’s 6,400 hotels include 11 brands. Hyatt Hotels Corporation carries a portfolio of 13 brands, distributed among about 700 properties. AccorHotels, based in Paris, manages 17 brands worldwide. The list could go on.
Hotel chains have expanded and diversified their offerings to capture more of the travel market. The proliferation of brands under one parent company is a byproduct of hotel company consolidation, the introduction of new brands and the creation of so-called soft brands that gather a group of similar independent hotels into a collection. Companies have aided in the expansion, in some cases, by licensing their names rather than owning each property.
Travelers’ needs vary over time — with travel for business and leisure, alone or with family, locally or internationally, and requiring a short stay or extended stay — and hotel companies want to capture them all. “We want a brand for each price point and each occasion” said Patrick Pacious, President and Chief Executive Officer of Choice Hotels International. The company, known for economy and mid range brands like Comfort Suites and Econolodge, is expanding its Cambria upscale brand.
Hotel company expansion and diversification is also a strategic defense against online travel services like Expedia and Airbnb, which offer thousands of varied listings in one place. Like such aggregators, more hotel companies can offer their own spectrum of listings, from a basic night’s stay to a luxury resort.
Within the ASIC 2018 you are requested to create and develop:
NEW HOTEL BRAND
The project must include:
- Research on the market
- Proposal for new hotel brand (according to the market needs; the brand can be developed for either Adria region or Europe)
Hotel Trends Research that define the need of the existing tourists/customers and take under consideration all relevant factors for creating new brand
- New hotel brand marketing plan for a 5-year period
Elaboration of proposed solution for the product and its target audience (elaborate on behavior trends and patterns of target audience)
Promotion of created product
The project can have a maximum of up to 25 pages, addendums included. The project must be written up on a computer, Times New Roman font, size 11, single line spacing, margins 2.5cm (top, bottom, left, right).
Upon submitting material via email, the file should be in pdf format and cannot have over 3MB.
Projects must be submitted in English.
Each project must consist of:
- Cover page with the project’s title and its vision (one sentence)
- A short single page summary of the project (maximum one A4 page)
- Table of contents
- Research of the current trends
- Detailed description of the developed hotel brand
- Marketing plan for the new brand for the period of 5 years
Research on hotel trends; 30%
- Research has been detailed and relevant
- Many different sources have been used
- Research has been done with real sector (survey has been done)
Innovation (product is innovative); 30%
- The concept is innovative (new hotel brand concept is completely new or the current concept has been improved
- Concept is clear and comprehensible
- Concept achieves differentiation and attracts new and/or larger market group
- Concept is sustainable
Marketing plan, 25%
- The team has created marketing plan that will successfully position new hotel brand
- Project is written pursuant to the competition rules, the theme is elaborated in a consistent manner, the project is literate/ grammatically correct and visually neat
Projects that will not include some of the key elements will not be taken into consideration.
WHO can apply:
- ASIC is open for all students in their 3rd, 4th, and 5th year of study. Students/ team members need not be from the same faculty
- Every team must have a minimum of 3, and maximum of 6 members
- Every team can submit an application for only one project
- One person can only be a member of one team
WHEN the competition is carried out:
01.11. Release of competition
01.12. Application of teams (the application is currently closed)
08.12. Last day for posing questions
15.12. Answers to questions (all questions and answers will be delivered to registered teams)
16.01.2018 submission of materials within the 1st round (submission is via email – should be sent to the following email address mail: email@example.com, until January 16th, 2018, 23:59 at the latest)
*Note: the email should be received until the stated time.
25.01. Announcement of results for the 1st round (6 teams that go forward to the 2nd round)
26.01. 2nd round teams will receive info on how the presentation for the jury should be prepared
13.02. Presentation of selected projects in front of the panel of judges and judge’s final decision of the winning team
14.02. 5-minute presentation of awarded projects at the Adria Hotel Forum
All team members independently cover their respective expenses of coming to Zagreb for the presentation.
There is a possibility for team members that are farther away from Zagreb (over 300 km distance) conduct an online presentation of their project to the panel of judges, in real time (the same goes for presentation of the project at the Forum) and in such a case the team must ensure adequate space and equipment (camera, microphone) that will broadcast the presentation in both high quality sound and visual aspects.
Panel of Judges:
The awards will be announced on November 17th, 2017 on the official contest page: www.adria-forum.eu